Bakewell tart. Could there be a more delicious dessert than that?
The richness of almonds, the deliciousness of jam and the utter scrumptiousness of CAKE combine to create a pretty life-changing experience with this gluten free Bakewell tart recipe.
It’s simple to make too – just use DS gluten free pastry. It comes frozen and it works perfectly in sweet and savoury dishes. Ain’t nobody got time to make gluten free pastry from scratch.
- 1 tbsp raspberry jam (we like Tiptree jam best!)
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 125g/4½oz caster sugar
- 125g/4½oz ground almonds
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 50g/1¾oz flaked almonds
- DS Gluten Free Pastry
For the icing:
- 80g/2¾oz icing sugar
- 2½ tsp cold water
- Cherries to garnish
- Roll out the gluten free pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20cm/8in flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (180C fan).
- Line the pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
- For the filing, spread the base of the flan generously with raspberry jam.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. Add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour into the flan tin and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. If the almonds seem to be browning too quickly, cover the tart loosely with foil to prevent them burning.
- Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in cold water and transfer to a piping bag.
- Once you have removed the tart from the oven, pipe the icing over the top and pop a few cherries on.
Then put the kettle on… and enjoy!